Everything about you

DISCLAIMER: Joss owns the Buffy stuff, Ugly Kid Joe own the song.
RATING: G
SPOILERS: Set in speculative Season 4 (written before the season started), so vague spoilers up to Graduation Day II.
SUMMARY: Spike dedicates a song to Buffy at the Bronze. Maybe not quite what you're thinking though.... Bits in italics are the song lyrics.


The Dingos were playing at the Bronze that night, so Willow was on the dance floor, as close to Oz as she could get. Buffy and Xander were sitting at their table sipping drinks and chatting as they nodded along to the music. When the set ended, Willow bounced over to them.

"Weren't they great?!" she enthused as she plopped down on a stool.

"Yeah, did they learn another chord?" Xander grinned at her.

"I think they did! How was patrol, Buffy?"

"Pretty quiet. I have to admit, it is easier with help."

"Oh....yeah. So, how're you getting on with Spike?"

Buffy grimaced. "We argue a lot. But though I hate to say it, it works better than patrolling with Angel. Cos, we don't get distracted by.... y'know."

"Euch! God, Buffy, I should hope not!" Xander pulled a disgusted face.

"As if!" Buffy retorted as Oz joined them, the DJ having taken over from the band. "But even though he's a pain, it's kinda fun. I never would have dreamed it, but we might end up being friends." Just then, the song that was playing ended, and the DJ's voice came over the speakers.

"And now we have a special dedication. This one's to Buffy, from Spike, and it's called 'Everything About You'."

Buffy's mouth dropped open and the group at the table stared at one another in shock.

"Uh....Buffy.... that sounds kinda.... romantic...." Willow stammered.

"Care to dance, pet?" Buffy turned to find Spike at her elbow, smirking at her. The music began, and she frowned to herself. It didn't *sound* like a love song.... Spike took that as a yes, hoiked her off her stool and pulled her onto the dance floor.

I, hate the rain and sunny weather,
and I, hate the beach and mountains too;
and I, don't like a thing about the city, no, no,
and I, I, I, hate the countryside too!

Automatically she danced with him to the heavy rock beat, not understanding what this was all about. Then things became a little clearer as, still grinning, he mouthed along to the next words of the song.

and I, hate everything about you!
...everything about you!

She laughed out loud as the tension she hadn't realised she felt, left her. She remembered the rest of the lyrics now, and she thought she might enjoy the rest of this dance after all.

and I, get sick when I'm around,
I, can't stand to be around,
I, hate everything about you!
everything about you, everything about you, everything about you!

She caught sight of the others watching them with a kind of horrified amazement, and realised that there was hardly anyone else on the dance floor. She mouthed "You bastard" to Spike, but he just winked at her and kept dancing.

Some say I got a bad attitude,
but that don't change the way I feel about you,
and if you think this might be bringing me down,
look again cos I ain't wearin' no frown!

She rolled her eyes and mentally shrugged. In for a penny, in for a pound.

You think it's sad,
and that's too bad,
Cause I'm havin'
A ball hatin'
Every little thing about you!

Spike was mouthing the words again, and she joined in, moving nearer to him as she did so.

Everything about you. Everything about...
I get sick when I'm around,
I can't stand to be around,
I hate everything about.... you!

They finished the song practically nose to nose, mouthing the words to one another. Then Spike took Buffy's arm and guided her in the direction of the others.

She giggled again "That was perfect! You had me freaked for a minute though."

"I think it freaked your mates more. But I couldn't pass up the chance to play 'our song', pet." He leered at her.

"Spike."

"Yes, Slayer?"

"Drop dead."

"Too late..."

END