Part 9/?

After paying his cover charge, he entered the dimly lit Bronze, his eyes scanning the entire club as he sought a particular person. Finding her sitting at a table near the stage with her friends, the ensouled vampire cringed inwardly as he saw the grimace on her face. Quickly recognizing that he was reason for her irritation, Angel, squaring his shoulders, strode slowly towards his fate.

“What I’m gonna do to him…” Contemplating her revenge, the grimace that had formerly marked the young Seer’s face slowly turned up into an evil grin, “…will make what I did to Xander that time at the movies look like a walk in the park…”

“So…” Flashing a wicked grin of her own, Felicia encouraged her roommate, “What did you do to this Xander cat and what you got planned for Angel?”

Chuckling maliciously, Cordelia first recounted how she had taken an especially pointed revenge upon her former boyfriend for taking her to a gory horror movie instead of the date movie that she had expected him to take her to, and then described, in painstaking detail, just what she had in store for the ensouled vampire who had had the nerve to stand her up.

Then, as the Doors took the stage once more, Cordy gasped as Jim Morrison, looking right into her hazel eyes with his deep penetrating brown ones began to sing, almost as if he was singing directly to her…

You're lost little girl
You're lost little girl
You're lost
Tell me who
Are you?


The young brunette barely held back her astonishment as she heard his words. Gulping down her beer, she continued to listen dumbfounded as he sang in that powerful, raw, hypnotic voice of his,

I think that you know what to do
Impossible? Yes, but it's true
I think that you know what to do, yeah
I'm sure that you know what to do


‘It’s almost like he knows who I am!’ The young seer, mesmerized by the spellbinding gaze of the lead singer, gasped inwardly as she listened intently to the lyrics.

You're lost little girl
You're lost little girl
You're lost
Tell me who
Are you?


Angel, feeling the electricity between Cordelia and the lead singer, froze in place, unable to move as the singer finished his song.

I think that you know what to do
Impossible? Yes, but it's true
I think that you know what to do, girl
I'm sure that you know what to do


You're lost little girl
You're lost little girl
You're lost


The song concluded, Cordelia gasped once again in surprise as Morrison nodded his head at her and then, a wide grin on his face, broke into his next song,

Well, she's fashionably lean
And she's fashionably late
She'll never wreck a scene
She'll never break a date
But she's no drag
Just watch the way she walks


She's a twentieth century fox
She's a twentieth century fox
No tears, no fears
No ruined years, no clocks
She's a twentieth century fox, oh yeah


Hearing the words, Cordy gasped momentarily as she could have sworn that he had emphasized the words ‘years’ and ‘clocks’, but, seeing the mischievous twinkle in his eyes, she couldn’t help but laugh merrily as it became apparent to everyone in the club that he was singing to her.

Angel, hearing the words to the new song, relaxed as he saw the lightened mood of the strange woman. Deciding that, now she’s smiling, the chances of him being staked had diminished somewhat, he once again approached the table where she and her friends sat.

She's the queen of cool
And she's the lady who waits
Sent to manless school
It never hesitates
She won't waste time
On elementary talk


‘My God!’ Cordy thought to herself as she smiled broadly at the handsome singer. ‘He does know me inside out! That song is about me! Both those songs were about me!’

'Cause she's a twentieth century fox
She's a twentieth century fox
Got the world locked up
Inside a plastic box
She's a twentieth century fox, oh yeah
Twentieth century fox, oh yeah
Twentieth century fox
She's a twentieth century fox


Walking off the stage as the song finished, Morrison then grinned like a little boy as he kissed Cordelia square on the lips as one of the Bronze’s photographers took their picture. “Don’t worry.” The photographer smiled back at the young seer, “I’ll make sure you get a picture.”

Returning to the stage, the lead singer yelled out to the crowd, “Thank you, Sunnydale!” Then, with a final flourish, the band departed just as Angel reached the table.

“Man…that was the grooviest!” Felicia gushed in awe as she looked on at her roommate. “I can’t believe he did that!”

“Yeah, that was outtasight!” Donny added, flashing a broad smile.

“It was something.” Angel, now standing just behind Cordelia and speaking in a soft voice, agreed.

“Huh?” Turning around quickly in her seat, the young seer’s eyes shot daggers at her dilatory date as she verbally expressed her displeasure. “Ok, Buster…just where the hell were you? I thought I told you to get your un…to get your bony ass here by nine!”

“I’m sorry…” The ensouled vampire replied shyly as he suspiciously eyed Cordelia’s friends. “I don’t think it’d be a good idea to talk about it here…if you know what I mean…”

Taking a look at her future partner’s disheveled appearance and seeing through the dim light the faint traces of ash on his dark jacket, the lovely brunette nodded her head in understanding. “Ok…we’ll talk about it later…” Then, flashing a wicked grin, she added in a coy voice, “’Sides, I know just how you can make it up to me…”

Seeing the gleam in her friend’s eye, the pretty strawberry blonde smirked, “Cordy…you wouldn’t…I mean that’d be really mean…”

“Oh yes!” Cordelia flashed an evil grin as she motioned for the tormented vampire to sit down with them. “And Angel…in the future, whenever you think about standing me up again for anything, I want you to remember what you had to do to make this up to me…”

Reluctantly sitting down next to the young seer, the dark vampire shifted about uncomfortably in his seat as he contemplated his fate. “What do you want me to do?” He asked as he tried to avoid the curious looks being given him by the other couple at the table after the introductions were made.

“Oh man…” Donny smiled sympathetically as he regarded his fellow male with a mixture of envy and pity, “You don’t wanna know…believe me…you don’t wanna know…”

***********

“Is it…Council business, darling?” Walking gracefully over to her husband, the willowy Evelyn Giles wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him close.

“Yes, love.” Edmund replied as he lovingly kissed his wife, first on the forehead, and then on the lips. “Otherwise, you know I wouldn’t miss our son’s big day.”

“I don’t know, Edmund…” Evelyn, now looking every bit the protective mother, said doubtfully. “You know how Rupert feels about becoming a Watcher…”

“Yes.” The elder Giles chuckled. “Today he told me he wanted to be a grocer. Last week it was a fighter pilot.” Then, with a serious expression, the Watcher continued to speak, “But, I told him that it was his duty—as it was mine and my mother’s before me. Since time immemorial, one of our bloodline has always served as a Watcher. It’s a calling that transcends duty…responsibility…it is something that he will grow to understand and, I pray, eventually accept.”

“It’s a shame that he has to start his training at such a young age.” Evelyn sighed mournfully as she poured a sherry for herself and her husband. “It would have been nice for him to have remained a child for a little while longer, at least.”

“I know.” The Watcher flashed a quick smile at his spouse as he accepted the sherry, gratefully sipping it. “But, there is so much for him to learn…so much to understand…especially if the prophecies are correct…”

Changing the subject, Evelyn asked, “So…when must you leave for the States?”

“I leave on the first available flight.” Edmund smiled ruefully as he reached out for his wife’s hand. “I fly out on a Boeing 707 from Gattwick to New York. Then New York to Los Angeles on another 707, and then a train from Los Angeles to Sunnydale.” Then, quickly remembering, he asked, “Are the books that I need packed?”

“Yes, darling.” Evelyn flashed a smile that was at the same time longsuffering and tender as she explained. “The books that you said that you would need with you are packed in your carry-on bag, while the other books will be sent via special courier from the Council. Quentin said that they should arrive no later than a week after you.”

“Thank you, love.” Edmund smiled affectionately at his wife as he once again took her in his arms. “I don’t know what I would do without you.”

***********

Did Jim Morrison know who and what Cordelia really was? Well...he was the Lizard King...he could do anything...

TBC...